Tuesday 17 September 2013

Review: Real Techniques Core Collection & Eye Brush Kit

make up brushes

Whilst doing the #SuperGorgeousSept beauty themed Instagram challenge, a particular criteria came up that I thought was a great idea; 'Everyone must try...'. Asking people to pick one product as a must try is a great way to find some real gems. I ran through what people had chosen and was surprised that the most regular appearance was from something I'd somehow completely (unintentionally) avoided until now; Real Techniques make up brushes.

A quick google search confirmed these are indeed a hit with many and I was pleased to find Boots were currently running a buy-one-get-one-half-price promotion that included them. So of course I picked a few up! I went for the 'Base/Flawless Core Collection' and the 'Eyes/Enhanced Starter Set' which both came with a range of brushes in a nice case that doubles as a stand, so it seemed like the best value way to check out the range. Here's my rundown of all the brushes and how I like to use them.


Real Techniques: Your Base/Flawless Core Collection


make up brushes


Real Techniques: Your Base/Flawless Core Collection

Buffing Brush

This brush is described as "Ideal for full coverage application of powder and mineral foundation" - perfect for me as my go-to foundation is bareMinerals original powder foundation. Compared to most powder brushes, this one by Real Techniques is quite small, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing, giving you more control with the brush. It just takes a little longer to cover your whole face. I am impressed with this brush, it doesn't seem to spray my powder everywhere whilst I'm doing my make up, always handy - I won't miss the light dusting of foundation across my knees everyday. It's also incredibly soft, I hadn't realised just how scratchy and irritating my other brush was until I started using this Real Techniques one. Great if you wear contacts like me.

Real Techniques: Your Base/Flawless Core Collection

Detailer Brush

"Precision cut to effortlessly conceal problem areas; or, use with lipstick for long-lasting shape and definition". A tiny brush, considering this collection is predominantly for your face. Very useful though for applying concealer and adding white to the inner corners of your eyes to make you look more awake! You can also use it as a lip brush, but this isn't something I'll be using it for. Instead I dot concealer around any problem areas with this Detailer Brush and then blend with the Pointed Foundation Brush.

Real Techniques: Your Base/Flawless Core Collection

Pointed Foundation Brush

"Use with liquid foundation to build custom coverage". Now I don't use liquid foundation usually so I initially thought this brush was going to be useless to me, however I've found it useful for blending my concealer in after applying it with the Detailer Brush above. This is a very soft brush, so it's perfect for this.

Real Techniques: Your Base/Flawless Core Collection

Contour Brush

"Delicately applies highlighter to contour or create sheer, soft-focus finish". I don't often contour my face, I just find that it makes me feel a bit too fake and I don't like how I look after doing it. I'm quite a pale person and I like staying that way to be honest, think more dewy pixie than bronzed goddess ;) instead I've tried using this brush for powder blusher. Whilst I've found it applies blusher beautifully, blending really well, I've noticed my blusher doesn't seem to last as long as usual, which is a pity.

Real Techniques: Your Eyes/Enhanced Starter Set


eyeshadow brushes


I wasn't sure on whether I should buy this set. I've always disliked using brushes for eye make up application as I find they tend to splay my make up everywhere and I end up with eyeshadow in my eyes and all over my cheeks. I prefer to opt for the sponge tipped applicators as they give me far more precision. But as it was on offer I picked it up anyway. I'm glad I did!

Real Techniques: Your Eyes/Enhanced Starter Set

Base Shadow Brush

"Applies a smooth, flawless foundation of colour". Pretty simple really! A good brush for applying your base colour. I use this for a very light shade eyeshadow which I apply across my whole eyelid and most of the area beneath my brow. Fortunately this brush doesn't seem to cause the powder to fly in all directions!

Real Techniques: Your Eyes/Enhanced Starter Set

Deluxe Crease Brush

"Soft, oversized design for effortless contouring". To me this makes no sense; if I wand to contour my eyes, the last thing I'd want is a oversized brush! Perhaps useful for blending, but I don't foresee myself using this brush often.

Real Techniques: Your Eyes/Enhanced Starter Set

Pixel-Point Eyeliner Brush

"Tapered cut is ideal for dense or fine eyeliner application". Now THIS is what I prefer to use to contour! The thin brush is absolutely perfect for getting right into the crease of your eye. I used this for adding a darker colour to emphasise the crease before blending with the Accent Brush. I also use this for lining the outer corners and beneath my bottom eye line of my eye with a darker eyeshadow.

Real Techniques: Your Eyes/Enhanced Starter Set

Accent Brush

"Designed for precision detailing, spotlighting, highlighting and smudging". This is a lovely little brush, perfect for blending the darker eyeshadow in your crease. As suggested I also use this for spotlighting and highlighting, adding a white/pale shimmer to the inner corners of my eyes and to add a highlight to the middle of each lid.


Real Techniques: Your Eyes/Enhanced Starter Set

Brow Brush

"Distinctive shape easily defines eyebrows". Not much to say about this one other than it's really good at doing its job. I find it useful as it's far easier to find an eyeshadow in a suitable brow colour for me than the actual brow liners I've tried. Blonde shades are always too orange and browns are always too dark. I use this brush to apply a pale taupe eyeshadow to my eyebrows.

The cases are really nice, made out of a very soft, padded material. There's a dedicated elasticated band specifically sized for each brush. They also have some bigger straps for anything else you might want it to hold. It does up via a velcro strip. It's cleverly designed allowing you to fold it in two separate ways so that you can either use it as a case or as a stand. However I don't think I'll permanently use this for storing my brushes as getting them in and out can be a bit fiddly, it's ideal for travelling though.

Do you have these brush kits? Do you use the brushes as intended? Or like me, mix them around a bit for what works with you?

Thanks for reading!

7 comments:

  1. Hey there, loved your blog, just followed you on GFC (37) , would you mind to follow back?

    mandyshareslife.blogspot.com

    Come visit me <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll go check out your blog now!

      Delete
  2. Really enjoyed this informative post:-) I have to invest in new makeup brushes but haven't gotten around to it. I love buffing brushes they are my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's definitely worth checking these out :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome post about eyeshadows and it will be give more information those people who such a need.

    Best kabuki brush & Best eyeshadow brushes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, how much were the brushes when you bought them my dear, they sound exactly what I need, I've been using ones that I got on groupon, but the quality isn't great.....they sound exactly what I need. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each collection was £21.99, but it was buy one get one half price, so together it came to just over £30

      Delete